After using my radio for a while and making sure everything worked I decide to go beyond Mars (MARS\CAP). Here’s how it looks. Before I began I look up a video on a technique to de-solder small resisters. The term that came up with the video was SMD. I guess it has something to do with surface mounted electronics. It was a bit of a pain to remove this resister and I did end up adding more solder like in the video. I found the added solder conducted the heat more efficiently. I also turned up the heat fairly high. Not the highest, but maybe upwards of 78% of the total output.
This is the resister as seen through a 16x loop
To get to it I had to peel off the waterproof seal behind the battery. This is what it looks like to the naked eye.
This is my setup. A lighted 5x magnifying glass sitting on top of a box.
This is the view through the magnifying glass. This is what I saw when I desoldered the resister.
This is the size of the resister compared to the soldering tip, and this was the fine tip attachment…
This is the size of the resister as seen through a 5x magnifying glass after I removed it.
This is what comes up on the radio after it’s turned back on. All the data and settings are erased. I still reset all settings after I was done, but I don’t think it was necessary.